Dansville Central School District Parents’ Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
The Dansville Central School District is committed to ensuring student privacy in accordance with local, state and federal regulations and district policies. To this end and pursuant to U.S. Department of Education (DOE) regulations (Education Law §2-d), the district is providing the following Parents’ Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security:
- A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial or marketing purposes.
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record, including any student data maintained by the Dansville School District . This right of inspection of records is consistent with the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Under the more recently adopted regulations (Education Law §2-d), the rights of inspection are extended to include data, meaning parents have the right to inspect or receive copies of any data in their child’s educational record. The New York State Education Department (SED) will develop further policies and procedures related to these rights in the future.
- State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls and password protection must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the state is available for public review in an Excel file at http://www.nysed.gov/data-
privacy-security. Parents may also obtain a copy of this list by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, N.Y. 12234.
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed.
- Complaints should be directed to: Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Paul J. Alioto, 337 Main Street, Dansville, NY 14437.
- Complaints to SED should be directed to: Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234; the e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Or complete this form: PARENT DATA COMPLAINT FORM
We are compiling the following information about each agreement between DISTRICT and an outside party that receives protected student data, or protected principal or teacher data, from the district: (1) the exclusive purposes for which the data will be used, (2) how the contractor will ensure that any subcontractors it uses will abide by data protection and security requirements, (3) when the contract expires and what happens to the data at that time, (4) if and how an affected party can challenge the accuracy of the data, (5) where the data will be stored, and (6) the security protections taken to ensure that data will be protected, including whether the data will be encrypted. The links below will take you to the list of vendors. We will be updating this list as we gather additional information.